August 19, 2015 (Final Approved Circulated 11/16/15)
SOUTH DAKOTA ONE CALL NOTIFICATION BOARD MEETING
August 19, 2015 – 8:00 AM Central Time
Holiday Inn Express – Missouri Room
110 East Stanley Road, Ft. Pierre, SD
- Chairman Dan Kaiser opened the meeting with a Call to Order and Roll Call at 8:00 AM, Central Time.
Members in attendance: Chairman Dan Kaiser, Representing Telecommunication Companies Offering Local Exchange Service to More Than 50,000 Customers; Vice-Chairman John Ward, Representing Excavation Contractors; Bleau LaFave, Representing Investor-Owned Natural Gas Utilities; Ed Anderson, Representing Rural Electric Cooperatives; Todd Chambers, Representing Municipalities; Kurt Pfeifle, Representing Rural Water Systems. Also in attendance: Kristen Edwards, Legal Counsel; Adam de Hueck, Legal Counsel; Larry Janes, Executive Director.
Board members unable to attend: Doug Larson, Representing Interstate Carriers of Gas or Petroleum; Kevin Kouba, Representing Investor-Owned Electric Utilities; Fay Jandreau, Representing Telecommunication Companies Offering Local Exchange Service to Less Than 50,000 Customers; Erin Hayes, Representing Community Antenna Television Systems; Eugene Solseth, Representing Excavation Contractors.
Other attendees included: Jon Rollins, Operations Manager, Texas811; Brett Koenecke.
2 a. A motion was made by Bleau LaFave to approve the South Dakota One Call Notification Board Minutes of the May 14, 2015 One Call Board Meeting. Todd Chambers seconded the motion. Motion carried unanimously.
3. The Financial Summary, including May 2015 through July 2015 expenditure details, was reviewed. It was noted that the current contract with Texas811 resulted in a considerable savings of $95,281 for FY 2015 as compared to the contract rates of the previous vendor. The end result after this 5 year contract period will be an estimated cost savings of $500,000. The Financial Summary categories through June, FY 2015 were presented in the format previously used by the Board. However, beginning with the FY 2016 July Summary the categories used by the State of South Dakota were used and will be, on a going forward basis.
4 a. Center Performance Results were reviewed. Speed of Service was discussed and is currently within contract guidelines. May was slightly higher due to the spring thaw, but not concerning. Larry Janes mentioned Daily Ticket Totals, Average Call Handling Time, Speed of Answer, and Remote Usage is monitored through a daily report received from the Texas811 Center.
4 b. Call Volume Trends from January 2015 through July 2015 were reviewed. Incoming locate requests in 2015, now at 82,099, are on a record pace and are 3,814 higher than at this time last year. Dispatched Tickets are at 471,593 through July, which is lower than Dispatched Tickets of 477,515 at this time last year. 49% of all locate requests are now made through Portal electronic ticketing, with 18% of all requests requiring no intervention by Center personnel due to excavators mapping their work areas on the requests.
4 c. Dispatched tickets by type were reviewed. There have been 436 Damage Locate Requests referred to the Center so far in 2015 with 132 of them (30%) needed because a previous locate ticket had not been made.
4 d. Effective July 1, 2015, at the request of the Public Utilities Commission, management of the South Dakota 811 website was transferred to South Dakota One Call. Texas811 administers the website, posts Complaint filings and makes any necessary website changes. The following ticket types are currently available electronically using the South Dakota Portal: Update, Verification-No Response, Re-Spot, Normal/Routine, Appointment-Routine, and Emergency requests. Cancellations are scheduled to be opened up on September 16, 2015, and Appointment-Project requests should be available on October 28, 2015, depending on testing. A website re-design is also being considered at this time.
- MidAmercian Energy is considering re-introducing legislation to allow an exception to SDCL 49-7A-5, which would allow excavation before locates are completed during emergency situations. Today shall the Board support such legislation, and shall the Board work with MidAmerican Energy in drafting new language for this purpose? Brett Koenecke discussed last year’s effort to introduce legislation. He mentioned this was introduced due to the need to dig immediately in certain emergencies. This is a union issue due to the fact that in these emergency situations employees are forced to break the law by digging before all locates are completed. It’s also a personal liability concern. Dan Kaiser mentioned that digging before locates are completed can also be necessary from a national security standpoint, so any legislation would need to include operators besides the gas industry. Kurt Pfeifle stated that even if this was to be allowed the liability for damage to other facilities or injury would still have to be that of the operator. Bleau LaFave stated that the liability would follow the operator excavating prior to locates being completed, just as it is with bar test surveys. Brett Koenecke asked if the Board would be willing to work with this, starting with the initial legislation from last year. The consensus was that Bleau LaFave, Adam de Hueck, and Brett Koenecke will work together on the language, along with Larry Janes.
- Executive Director Report Items
- OC15-006, In the Matter of the Complaint filed by TrioTel Communications, Salem, South Dakota, Against Twedt Construction, Montrose, South Dakota, for an Incident Occurring on March 5, 2015, at 630 Essex Ave., Salem, SD. Today shall the One Call Board accept the recommendation of the Enforcement Panel to dismiss the Complaint, and shall the One Call Board close the Docket? John Ward so moved. Dan Kaiser seconded. Motion Carried Unanimously.
- OC15-007, In the Matter of the Complaint filed by Kenneth J. Erickson, Rapid City, South Dakota, Against Joe Muth and Jeremy Muth, Rapid City, South Dakota, for an Incident Occurring on April 10, 2015 at 4660 Coal Bank Dr., Rapid City, South Dakota. Today shall the One Call Board accept the recommendation of the Enforcement Panel to dismiss the Complaint, and shall the One Call Board close the Docket? Bleau LaFave so moved. Ed Anderson seconded the motion. Motion Carried Unanimously.
- OC15-008, In the Matter of the Complaint Filed by NorthWestern Energy, Mitchell, South Dakota, Against Traffic Solutions, Harrisburg, South Dakota, for an Incident Occurring on May 8, 2015, at approximately 300′ East of South Rowley and East Spruce Intersection, Mitchell, S.D. Today shall the One Call Board accept the recommendation of the Enforcement Panel, and shall the One Call Board close the Docket, and shall the Board pursue collection activity if the requirements are not met? Kurt Pfeifle so moved. John Ward seconded the motion. Motion Carried Unanimously, with Bleau LaFave abstaining.
- AgPhd. Larry Janes mentioned that attendance at AgPhd was again quite large. This event was held on July 30, 2015 at Hefty Farms near Baltic, SD. Booths and representatives of South Dakota 811, Nebraska 811, the City of Sioux Falls, Magellan Midstream Partners, MidAmerican Energy, Northern Natural Gas, NuStar, Northwestern Energy, TransCanada, Xcel Energy, and the Public Utilities Commission Office of Pipeline Safety were on hand to discuss the need to “Call Before You Dig” and answer questions about pipeline safety. Doug Larson, South Dakota One Call Board, attended this year and had mentioned while there that this was a worthwhile event. Participation by this group was sponsored by the South Dakota Pipeline Association.
- The next South Dakota One Call Board meeting date was set for Wednesday, November 4, 2015. The February Board Meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, February 10, 2016. The Board will sponsor and host a legislative breakfast at the Capitol Building on Thursday, February 11, 2016.
- There being no further business a motion to adjourn was called. Dan Kaiser so moved. John Ward seconded. Motion carried unanimously.
Minutes of this meeting were prepared by Larry Janes, Executive Director, South Dakota One Call Notification Board. For information about South Dakota One Call/South Dakota 811, please visit
http://onecall.sd.gov . Materials presented at this meeting are available by contacting the Executive
Director in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling (605) 339-0529.